The Loire Sauvignon Blanc Specialist
The quest to create the best Sauvignon Blanc through innovation and experimentation while embracing and respecting the values and spirit of the appellation is the philosophy of Villebois in a nutshell. The modernist approach discards dogmas and beliefs and is a guarantee of quality, a seal of confidence without ever replacing the notion of terroir and the intrinsic identity of the appellations. The spirit of Villebois is the ability to combine the most modern techniques with the noblest soils, only to question everything the following year. This is a permanent, exciting and fascinating quest…with the only gauge being the ability to capture you with every glass! Every sip tells a story.
Travel with us in each of our bottles!
Joost de Willebois
The appellations and winegrower
Terroir is that very mystical French word that describes a sense of place of a certain area…however small the area. The aggregate combination of soil, climate, grape variety topography and even man’s influence over the ages.
Every day the team at Domaine J. de Villebois is grateful for the work carried out by our ancestors to protect the peculiarities of the terroir through the creation of the protected designation of origin system (Appellation d’Origine Protegée). We are convinced that the mastery of a terroir can only be fully understood and explored by people who live in harmony with their environment. Each of our vineyards is cultivated with passion by a winemaker and a team who observes, lives and breathes the interaction between the soils and the floral diversity. Being as close as possible to nature means being able to capture the soul of the land. Every bottle is a representation, telling a story about the land and the people who work it.
The quest for excellence
We like to think of ourselves as translators; we strive to understand the original language of each of our soils.
What is this plot trying to transmit?
Why is it behaving like this?
Have I listened carefully?
What did I understand?
The same goes for our vintages, our winemaking, we constantly question ourselves to try to translate as best as possible what nature offers us. This is our quest, in order for you to share this gift of nature.
Mr de Willebois continues federate talents, skills and different personalities in order to enrich our common knowledge and bring the ‘Villebois’ spirit to life. Passion, generosity and the desire to discover are common values that we cherish and that drives each member of the team. It is due to this state of mind that we continue to innovate, adapt and progress to enrich your experience.
Joost et Miguela de Willebois
Descending from an old French family that is established in the Netherlands since the 19th century, (where the V became a W) Joost and Miguela de Willebois are passionate about French culture, the medieval period and the Loire Valley. With their 4 sons, they have settled in Touraine since 1996 where they fell in love with the Loire Sauvignon Blanc Loire. After successful professional
careers spanning the globe, they now devote themselves fully to the expansion of J. de Villebois from their family home in the Touraine.
Trained as a winemaker and agricultural engineer, Patrice joined the Villebois adventure in 2014. He now guides a team of winegrowers and winemakers and transmits his passion, his knowledge and his rigour. Son and brother of a Loire winemaker, passionate about Loire wines, dedicated and methodical, he brings all his talents to Domaine J. de Villebois. As a true orchestrator, he tactfully guides his team and ensures the total execution of every masterpiece without the slightest flaw.
A story of love and a young lady made Alberto pose his suitcases in the Sancerre region a few years ago. A Venetian by birth, a multilingual globetrotter, today he is equally in love with the Loire and its wines. A man of convictions and passions, he puts all his know-how into the development of the estate’s wines. As a marathon runner he is a confirmed competitor and a man who loves a challenge who knows how to surpass himself to elevate the estate’s vintages to the very top.
A descendant of an old French family dating back to 1180 with Hugues de Villebois (Sire of Villebois and Mareuil) on the borders of the Dordogne, Gironde and Charentes, Joost de Willebois follows in the line of his ancestors and perpetuates his chivalrous heritage.
It is in this area that the original castles of the family proudly stand. Unwitheringly supported by his wife Miguela, they have founded and united a team of winegrowers, winemakers and craftsmen in order raise the Sauvignon Blanc of the Loire Valley and the Villebois’ banner to the highest level!
- Early origins of the Villebois family.
- First encounter between Joost de Willebois a Thierry Merlet stemmed from their shared passion for Sauvignon Blanc. At the time, Joost was working in the financial sector and Thierry Merlet was an experienced winemaker in Touraine.
- Thierry joins Joost as winemaker and J. De Villebois is born. J. De Villebois acquires 10ha (22 acres) in Mareuil sur Cher.
- First production of Villebois Sauvignon de Loire.
- Joost and Thierry define their purpose; to become the Specialist of Sauvignon Blanc in Loire Valley : a single-grape variety and multi-appellation strategy.
- Joost seeks new partnerships along the Loire Valley, specifically Sancerre and Pouilly Fumé.
- Joost leaves the financial sector to dedicate himself full-time to his passion; Sauvignon Blanc winemaking.
- J. De Villebois’s growth starts to kick-off; its cuvées qualities are being recognized and awarded in French & international competitions.
- On January 6 J. De Villebois acquires Domaine Fournier Père et Fils; 2nd largest independent producer in Sancerre, Pouilly-Fumé and Menetou Salon.
- J. De Villebois acquires new Vineyards in Touraine to meet the growing demand of Sauvignon Blanc lovers.
- The Villebois Fournier group becomes “Les Vignobles Villebois”.
- Villebois continues its specialization in the production of Sauvignon Blanc de Loire.